Saturday, April 27, 2013

Metallica in the desert

When I was mapping out my social agenda last weekend, I was pulled in opposite directions.

On one hand, my office was throwing a grand soiree to celebrate the 5th birthday of The National and on the other hand, Metallica.

It pained me to see both scheduled the same night but a ray of sunshine broke through the confusion clouds when I found out the events would coincidentally be held very close to one another on Yas Island, which is a few miles outside of Abu Dhabi, hosts a Formula One race track and is home to Ferrari World.

The office party started at 8pm and Metallica was to take the stage around 9.30pm. Of course, I wanted to have my cake and eat it, too, but this was going to take some careful planning. 

I told Miranda to dress for the concert, not the party. But for those who know Miranda, she loves a great party and can rock out to just about anything, which why she is my lovely partner in crime on these festive evenings.


We showed up a little early for the office party and the set-up was classy. Real classy. Big round tables with white clothes, a dance floor and a copious amount of kind Filipino servers ready to assist us with any need.

Meanwhile, just down the street, thousands of Arab rockers were loading up on beer courage and sweating in the desert humidity. 


While we sipped drinks with esteemed colleagues, we could hear the concert sound checks from the balcony of the reception hall. I tried to load up on a little beer courage of my own before fellow sports guy Stevie Sanchez told me they did, in fact, serve beer at the concert.

I almost fainted.

This is a Muslim country so outside of a hotel or an elusive liquor store, beer is not sold anywhere. 

I thought I was going to hit the Metallica mosh pit with a frosty Fanta in my hand. But BEER? BEER!! I was just elated that someone at the du Arena actually used their head when they designed the place and had a financial profit in mind. 

After politely excusing ourselves from the party, Mr. Sanchez, Fergie, Dubai Sarah, Miranda and I rolled into the show and made a beeline for the beer tent. Four tall 20 oz Heinekens cost 150 dirhams (which is like 40 bucks), which sounded good to me. Sanchez and I grabbed a four-pack each and then we made our way to the lawn.

See, the du Arena (du is a local cell phone service provider) is basically just an open-air general admission venue. There's a huge stage, a huge lawn in front of it and it's every man for himself.


Guns N' Roses killed it there last month, Andrea Bocelli and his 70-piece orchestra made an appearance earlier this year and I heard the Bieber is playing there in the next few weeks. It's a great venue and can hold up to 50,000 people.

When Metallica visited two years ago, the place sold out. Those guys are getting on their years but they still put on a freaking awesome show. Abu Dhabi loves them...


Yes, we crushed beers and rocked out to songs I have not heard since high school. For the first time in a few years, I was reminded how great it was to see live music at a big-time venue and go crazy at an outdoor concert. 

It felt good. It felt like home. 






1 comment:

  1. Wow! I just saw this, read it and loved it. Every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.