Sunday, February 24, 2013

Miranda

So the champagne was on ice and finally, the woman I had fallen in love with while living in the Caribbean was arriving in the Middle East to live with me.

The first five weeks I was in Abu Dhabi were memorable but very lonely. I started my job. I found us a place to live. But somehow, I was sure everything I knew about this city and my life here was about to change. At least that's what I predicted while I put on my most 'dapper' clothes and took a taxi to the airport.

Her flight was delayed, which gave me more time to pace around the modern Abu Dhabi airport where public displays of affection were somewhat overlooked. Ahh, the comings and goings of life. At the airport terminal. Probably one of the most-overplayed final scenes in any movie, besides the beach.

But this would not be the final scene to my Middle East experience but the opening act. How else would you explain it when the hairs stood up on the back of my neck the first second I saw this gorgeous woman walk through the electronic arrival doors and back into my life?




Yes, Miranda was a big reason why I knew we could take this Abu Dhabi challenge head on together. During our twilight on St. Thomas, we had many discussions on where our future was headed.

Then we had some more discussions. And a few more.

While in London, Detroit, and even in Toronto, we gabbed about our prospects, our priorities and our dreams.

Somehow, we ended up in this desert oasis, where tropical palm trees line the city streets and the dirhams don't get soggy in your bathing suit pocket while you canoodle at the swim-up pool bar.





I can say with certainty that if Miranda didn't want to or couldn't or wouldn't -- take your pick -- travel with me to Abu Dhabi, then this chapter in my life would have been passed over.

The fact is that we knew we couldn't live without each other and when you can recognize that, nothing else really matters. Having a cool job and living in a unique city on the other side of the world is just a bonus.

*   *   *

I apologize for the lapse in blogs. See, when Miranda came into town, everything did change (so much more for the better) and we started to explore right away.

In the meantime, we went on a desert safari, saw the camel races in person, visited the Emirates Palace (a few times) and discovered pristine beaches that would rival the finest in the Caribbean.

So I have some catching up to do and it starts right now...Cheers.

 

2 comments:

  1. A very romantic love story you have there. It is just nice to know that you have all that you wanted in your life that moment. Goodluck with your new life there.


    property shop abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's almost funny how we can start relationships and sometimes put them on the shelf but depending on the type of person you are, they always have the potential to come back around full circle.

    Al Raha Gardens

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? The floor is yours...
Leave your comments here.